Re: [APD] Driftwood wants to float

Scott,
I truly appreciate your time in answering my question.
Regards,
Randy

>>> shieber at yahoo_com 8/13/2004 10:09:27 AM >>>

All kinds of wood can be driftwood. Some types of wood or
root float and some don't. The types that float are simply
dense -- they need something heavy attached to hold them
down. You might find examples of such driftwood in stores
bolted to large pieces of slate.

Some types, like the so-called Malaysian and African
driftwoods that you can buy, are very dense and heavier
than the water they displace.

If a dry piece of driftwood is placed in water and it
almost sinks, it will probably stay down once it is
thoroughly soaked. However, even the densest stuff is still
somewhat bouyant underwater, seeming unusally light, like a
man on the moon or the way I think on some days ;-) .

Aquariumdirftwood.com sells presoaked driftwood that sinks.
The wood is from Alabama, as I recall, and softer than the
Malaysion or African wood. It's the kind plecos love to
gnaw on.

Usually, if the driftwood will sink, it's enough of a boast
that the supplier will say so.

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.

--- Randy Pullen <RPullen at waterpik_com> wrote:

> Please advise me on techniques to prevent a purchased
> piece of driftwood
> from floating. How did you get driftwood to stay
> submerged?
> Thanks for your help.
> Randy

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss
soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org