[APD] Re: Hello/Tank Size/Flourite

[snip]
Question:  Aesthetically-speaking, do you all like the
looks of a 18" inch high or 24" inch high better?
Which do you prefer for aquascaping?

I personally prefer the 24" high tanks. After a 3-6" thick substrate it leaves about 18-20" or so of water column which I think is about right. As long as you can reach in to work with plants in the substrate you should be reasonably alright. I've never been happy with any of the plant-planting tools I've found, so I like to be able to reach the bottom with my hand. There have been lots of posts about tank heights in the past, and usually the 20-24" height is the favorite, depending on the arm length of the aquarist in question.

Flourite:
Regardless of which tank I pick, from the calculations
in the archives, I've figured I need about 6 bags of
Flourite for 3-3.25 inches, which will leave me a
little for my 10 gallon.  My water is very, very soft
and I use some crushed coral in a bag in my Aquaclear
filter.
Seachem has a number on their site that says about how deep a layer a bag will give in a certain size tank (I think it is 2" in a 10 gallon tank). Just work that out as a volume per bag and figure out the volume you want to cover. For example, at 2" for a 10 gallon tank (about 20" x 10" base dimensions), means about 400 cubic inches per bag. 3" in a 65 gallon (36" x 18" base dimensions) would need about 1,944 cubic inches or about 5 bags. Best to get an extra bag or two so that you can make the substrate a bit deeper in places if you want, especially considering that you have a place to put any extra Flourite that you don't need. You can get tank dimensions from the tech info page at the back of the All-Glass catalog, assuming you get a tank that uses their dimensions.

-Bill

***************************** Waveform Technology UNIX Systems Administrator