[APD] How to use eheim's surface extractor?

HI all,

I got the eheim surface extractor yesterday, but it doesn't seem to
working. It's running off a eheim 2213, and i've tried to adjust the
height, but it doesn't seem to be sucking anything from the top. It
doesn't react to the float valve at all.

I have no current at the top, and with my plants bubbling, the surface
is filled with air bubbles which makes the water somewhat thicker..
could this be the problem?

I want to know if i should return it....

THanks for your help...

Byron