  From: Gwmangen at cs_com<mailto:Gwmangen at cs_com>
  To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 1:10 PM
  Subject: [APD] Re: amonium chloride and CO2

  I should very much like to be able to add some amonium chloride to my tank
  and raise my CO2 to mmmmm say 30 mg/l.  Unfortunately, my fish doesn't seem to
  appreciate it very much.  CO2 is a fish anesthetic.  This morning my fish was
  doped when I let the CO2 get too high (35+ mg/l.)  So I guess it's back to my
  old strategy of keeping my CO2 around 15 mg/l.

  It's tempting to isolate the fish just to see though.  I don't need no
  stinking fish telling me how to grow my plants.  But of course, if algae started to
  grow I would be begging the SAEs, Ottos and others to help me get rid of it.
  -Sincerely, George

  >What does ammonium chloride have to do with CO2?  -Rachel

  I didn't mean to imply that there is a relationship between amonium chloride
  and CO2.  I'm saying there is a relationship between excessive levels of
  amonia, CO2 or anything else and fish distress or death which constrains me from
  seeing how fast my plants might grow.  -George

  >A month or two ago I wondered on the list whether there was a relationship
  between >the short lifespan of fish in some of my tanks & Flourish Excel. I
  have since >stopped using the Excel (I switched to the Hagen Plant-Gro CO2
  Natural system; >what a fun product!), and have not lost any fish since that time.
  In one tank, all the >fish were new types, but in the other it was the same old
  tiger barbs which >previously had died after 2-3 weeks in the tank.I am still
  wondering if anyone else >has seen this relationship?  -Rachel

  There are only four references to amonium chloride that I could find in the
  archives.

  Respectfully, George