[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 11, Issue 30

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] Re: Moving
>
> I was thinking it would minimize the shock for the
> fish, cut down on cycling time when I get there. I
> have lots of plants and everything, but with the
> Tanganyikans' pH, I didn't figure it was worth the
> risk. Plus I have no clue about the water chemistry in
> the new place. You think it's unnecessary?

my feeling is that moving the water is beneficial for two reasons.  one,
as you mention, is possible shock to the fish (and plants!  consider the
infamous crypt melt, for instance).  the second reason is that water moved
in large lots will tend to maintain its temperature and so will provide
less stress on the fish (e.g., catch the fish and put them in plastic
bags, but then put these bags down inside the water you've drained from
the tank).  this doesn't apply to cross-country moves, of course, but is
useful, i believe for moves of up to several hours (a half a gallon of
water in a plastic bag may heat up a lot in several hours' time; 20
gallons of water in a trash can, not so much.

cheers,
-david