Re: [APD] Eheim prime problem

I find the priming mechanism onthe Eccos a bit less fussy
than that on the 2x26, 2x28 series. But generally, it works
quite well if maintained. Here are some things to check.

--Start with a filter with no water in it. Sometimes the
Ehiems seem to start better when there is no water in it
before you start the siphon going and don't turn onthe pump
until the filter fills all the way. Alternatively, before
reconnecting the outlet hose to the filter, empty the
outlet hose of water so that no air gets trapped in the
line. Note, however, that neither of these these things
should be an issue if the ball&cage and primer are
functioning normally.

--Make sure the ball&cage assembly is clean and clear of
debris. With the the filter out of service and the tubes
disconnected, you can lift out the red ball cage (really
just a plastic stop that keeps the ball from being pushed
to far up the outlet) and then tip the  filter to pour the
ball out of the hole. If the ball is worn, it won't work as
a valve and the primer won't be effective. This ball acts
as a oneway valve so that, when the primer comes back up,
it sucks water into the siphon but not back through the
outlet. Without it, the primer just pushes water back and
forth in both in and out tubes at the same time without
getting a siphon started.

--Make sure the primer's seal is lightly lubed with
petroleum jelly. The primer rides up and down inside the
pumphead housing, with a rubber seal around the primer's
circumfrence. If this seal is not lubed, the primer becomes
sticky and ineffective and you can get leaks (the water
will seep out through the handle cavities where the cord
exits the filter. The primer should slide down and back up
nice and easy without struggle. You'll need a small stick
or a Q-tip with the cotton removed to fit down inbetween
the primer and the pumphead housing. With a  little jelly
at a time, gently poke some down onto the seal, work you
way around the seal with more dabs. Work the primer up and
down a few times. The primer should spring back up readily
and freely. Even when the filter is installed and you're
trying to draw a siphon, the primer should come back up
easily and readily.

Hope that helps,
Scott H.

--- "Hopkins, Samuel" <Samuel_Hopkins at marconi.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
>      I have an Eheim 2028 and when I press down on the
> priming plunger it
> goes down but when it comes up nothing happens, the unit
> doesn't prime. To
> get it flowing after I change the filter I have to hold
> down the priming
> plunger and suck on the outflow tube. Once it's primed
> it's fine. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

=====
It's the contest that started international competition in aquascaping
planted aquaria! AGA's 2004 Aquascaping Contest is open for entrees:

 http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

Novices and experts alike show their skills. Past winners have been
novices and experts, too. You can view all the entrees at The 5th AGA
Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org &
www.gwapa.org