[APD] Re: mail order plants

>>Does anyone have advice, pro or con, on getting plants through the mail in
summer?  In New Orleans we are having daily highs in the mid 90s, and I am
not optimistic about plants surviving the trip to my mailbox!<<

If it is packed in cold packs and you have them sent next day delivery, they
will be much more likely to arrive OK.  The plants most likely to arrive
damaged or completely melted are those with very little body mass: thin,
wispy stem plants like glossostigma, heteranthera, potamogeton.

Swords, ferns, Anuibias, Cryptocorynes, Aponogetons and the like should fair
well and at most suffer minimal leaf damage. Rhizomes, tubers, or bulbs even
under 100% leaf melt should always grow back. Never throw them away unless
the tuber itself feels mushy. Even the crowns of sword plants that have
drastic leaf damage will usually grow new leaves.

Stem plants will often melt first from the bottom up, so by cutting off and
planting the tops you can salvage the plants. If the entire stem is melted,
there will not be anything to attempt to salvage.

If you are at work during the day and work inside an air conditioned
building, it would be much more preferable to have it shipped to you at work
and keep it inside with you until you are ready to take it home. Resist the
temptation to open up the box until you are ready to put them in water.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com
90 day warranty on plants