Re: [APD] bala sharks and plants

Alan and Kim Van Nevel at van_nevel at verizon.net wrote:

> Has anyone had experience keeping bala sharks in a planted tank? I am
> getting ready to redo my 250 gallon, and like the idea of large schooling
> fish like these guys, but cant find info in the archives regarding previous
> experience.

I put two 5 inch bala sharks that my neighbor gave me in a tank with some
large swords, a dense stand of crypts, a few apons, java ferns, ludwegia,
and one or two other kinds of plants. The balas have been in there about 4
months and so far they haven't bothered any of the plants that I've seen. I
did have small amount of ambulia disappear while I was gone on vacation for
a week. I never saw the balas eating on it, but I can't rule it out. I will
also note that when I first got them, the balas were very skittish and
spooked easily, at which point they ricochet chaotically through the tank.
They soon settled down, but I'm guessing this could have damaged or uprooted
more delicate plants, had there been any in the tank.

Dan Dixon