[APD] Re: filter vs pump

John,
Just my 2c regarding the Eheims - I myself use 3 2213's and 1 2026 and have never had a single problem with them. Just a side-note regarding the ecco's; the cam which is used to attach the head to the canister has a tendency to be somewhat troublesome - sometimes locking, and sometimes not opening properly. Also due to the design of the priming mechanism, the head can sometimes become stuck on the canister due to a vacuum inside the canister - all easy enough to deal with using a little common sense problem solving, but not so great for the novice fish-keeper. A friend of mine who owns an lfs swears by Eheim, but doesn't carry the Ecco range for this reason.
Now of course, I appreciate that Scott has been able to use the Ecco's without problem's, I just thought you might like to hear another view.
Further to that, while I think that the pro II's are a beautiful machine (only a fish person could call a filter beautiful ;) ), I mainly use the Eheim "classic" filters (2213, 2215, 2217 models) - these are no - nonsense just damn good filters (which consequently now come with filter baskets - as they originally did not), and if you don't mind priming the filter yourself, you get a great filter for about 2/3 the price (or less!) of a pro II.
Now of course, IMO, YMMV,etc, etc, personal opinions, and all the usual disclaimers apply.
And for the dedicated Eheim fan, I believe there's a pro III due to be released sometime this year..... keep your eyes peeled 8).
Cheers,
Daniel.
The same is true for the smaller two models of the
Eccos -- bigger canister but same pump head, motor,
assembly.  Ehiem always rates it's bigger models with a
higher flow rate even if the pump is the same. It cannot be
that two filters with the same pump are rated according to
the same rules if the larger canister, which presents more
resitance to flow, is rated higher than the smaller
canister.  But hey are darn nice machines anyway,
regardless of the apparently mutable laws (of Eheim)
physics. ;-) That's all just my personal opinion, but you
can check out the part numbers on the filter parts yourself
;-)

The eccos are generally cheaper than the Professional or
Pro IIs. It's like an economy version of Eheim that
competes for the same market as Filstar, Hagen, and Via
Aqua. Just a tad louder but have built in priming
mechanism. Just based on value for the buck, I'd buy an
Ecco before a Pro/II model unless I got a really great
deal. I confess I have more than one of both. Any of the
Ecco models would work for a 30 gal tank.

Also, the Filstar canisters are much cheaper than Eheims. A
tad louder, like the Eccos but I've had a couple running
several years without any problems.

Scott H.