[APD] Re: Filter vs. Pump

(snip)
Scott H. and Cavan have indicated that, although I might be able to get
away without a filter and just use a pump, it's probably not a very good
idea.  And both mention the Eheim as their first choice to replace the
present Fluval 304, if and when it gives up the ghost.  Assuming I go along
with their advice, my next question would be: Which model Eheim should I
buy?

I have a 30 gallon tank, sitting about 3 feet above the filter.  The pump
must also push the water through a Lifegard heater module and an M3 CO2
mixing jar, both of which I assume provide flow resistance.  In the case of
the mixing jar, I have already enlarged the holes along the input tube,
because my impression is that the original small holes not only
significantly impeded water flow, but also tended to clog up rather quickly.

So, would you recommend the Eheim 2026 or should I upgrade to the 2028?
Thanks in advance.

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html
(snip)

John,

Eheim would be the first canister filter I would recommend to anyone. I own
six of them myself. I have a 30 gallon plant tank that uses an Eheim 2213. I
have owned this filter for 12 years and it still works like new. It is a
good size for this type of tank, if not a bit too powerful. A 2026 should be
more than enough for what you need, with your CO2 mixer and heater module.

I inject CO2 directly into my Eheims on my planted tanks (except my 240,
which uses a sump), and they have no problem diffusing CO2 into the water
with very little waste. You might want to consider removing the mixing jar
and putting your CO2 line into the intake strainer of the canister filter if
you are going to use sponges or any material in the filter. This would
eliminate some of the resistance to flow. If you are just going to have it
empty (or almost empty) and circulate water with it, then continue to use
the mixer, of course.

Dave