RE: [APD] Re: gar

Last weekend, I was at the San Diego Zoo.  In the Manatee exhibit, there
were all sorts of alligator gars.  Most of them were 4-5ft long.

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces+iegomer=hotmail_com at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+iegomer=hotmail_com at actwin.com] On Behalf Of
BoiseBobD at aol_com
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 6:28 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Re: gar

Tom Barr writes:

We saw a  gar, about 3 feet long.
No one has kept this native fish in planted tanks  for some reason. I think
they are well suited and have a very nice  personality

Maybe because it woud be hard-pressed for this three-foot long fish to turn

around in most planted aquaria.  I see large fish at pet stores and think
how
cruel it is that they have to twist themselves like a pretzel everytime they

get to the other end of the tank.  The only non-public aquarium-type tank I

have seen that this fish would be comforrtable in is the large fish display
tank  at The Fish Place in North Tonawanda, definitely Western NY's premier

lfs.  Was just back there again after ten years and it is a better  place
than
last time I was in.  Nothing here in Idaho comes  close.