[APD] Worms

Several months ago, I found a very small, pinkish worm, about 1/2-inch long,
during a water change.  Then, maybe two weeks ago, I found another, stuck on
the sponge filter I have on the output strainer.  And this last weekend,
there were 3 or 4 of them.  They were somewhat difficult to remove, because
they seemed to be burrowing into the sponge material.

I haven't added plants or fish for more than a year.  So, what are these
worms and where could they have come from?  Are they going to be a problem?
And, if so, what can I do about them?  Thanks in advance.

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html