Re: [APD] Cleaning filter tubes for canister?

I haven't seen your stuff and anyway I'll defer to the
biologists -- *but* it still sounds like biolfim to me, a
good healty amount of it, and perhaps a bit of detritus
collecting in it. And your bacteria collection might not be
the same as in my tanks -- every stew is a little diff.

But if it is alive, it requires nutrients and that might be
to the key to controlling the amount between tube
cleanings.

Not sure why it never gets this bad in the tank but it
doesn't. Can easily get this bad in a filter.

Scott H.
--- "John T. Fitch" <JTFitch at fitchfamily_com> wrote:

> On: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 03:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
> S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> wrote:
>
> > Unless your setup is extraordinarily strange, the gunk
> in
> > the tubes is the same stuff that you culture in the
> > biomedia, in other words, biofilm, which comprises
> certain
> > types of bacteria and the polysaccharide film that they
> > make, which holds them to surfaces.
> >
> The annoying "gunk" in my tubes, cannister filter, heater
> module, and CO2
> mixing jar doesn't look like a film. It is a sort of
> brown stringy material
> that both clings to the walls of the tubes and breaks
> free in clumps that
> clog the column of inlet holes in the mixing jar. There
> is never anything
> like it in the tank itself.
>
> Can you tell me what this "gunk" is and whether there is
> anything I can do
> to lessen or eliminate it?  Thanks.

=====
Tired of filling that aquarium all the way to the top? Ready to try something a little different? Think less water, more options. Think paludarium.

Aquarium Design Group's Mike Senske raised paludariums to a whole other level. SEE Senske paludariums at

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes/aquascapes_paludariums.htm

SEE the Senske submissons to the AGA Annual Aquascaping Contests at http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

HEAR and SEE Mike talk about paludarium design at The 5th AGA Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org