Re: [APD] Cleaning filter tubes for canister?

On: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 03:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
wrote:

> Unless your setup is extraordinarily strange, the gunk in
> the tubes is the same stuff that you culture in the
> biomedia, in other words, biofilm, which comprises certain
> types of bacteria and the polysaccharide film that they
> make, which holds them to surfaces.

The annoying "gunk" in my tubes, cannister filter, heater module, and CO2
mixing jar doesn't look like a film. It is a sort of brown stringy material
that both clings to the walls of the tubes and breaks free in clumps that
clog the column of inlet holes in the mixing jar. There is never anything
like it in the tank itself.

Can you tell me what this "gunk" is and whether there is anything I can do
to lessen or eliminate it?  Thanks.

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html