[APD] Cleaning filter tubes for canister?

Hi,

I am new to using cannister filters.

I have noticed that my filter tubes have a lot gunk in them and I think it contributing to my cloudy water. I use this filter as a skimmer. Every so often the cannister get some air in it and does a 'hiccup' and pushes some of the gunk in the output tube into the aquarium and produces a white haze. Sometimes some of the gunk gets stuck in the bar spray.

Question: Should I clean out the tubing on both the input and output tubes?
Also what is that gunk in the tubes? Also how often should I clean out the tubes?

Thanks

Walter

Embrace technology, use it as you would use
blunt object
<<G-Prime>>