[APD] Re: Carbonate shortage?

At 12:03 PM 6/24/2004 -0400, Daniel Larsson wrote:

With a KH of 2.5, when can one expect to get
carbonate-limited in a low-tech-tank without wc:s?

My KH drifts downward at between 0.25 and 0.33 points per week. This is normal.

Without wc:s I guess the carbonates eventually
are used up (lowering the KH?)?

Yup. Low KH means low pH, so if you dose CO2, you should understand where different levels of KH get you. Do not allow KH to get below 1! KH of 2 or 3 is just fine.

What happens if one use bicarbonate as a coal-source
in these aquariums? Will the Na build up without
wc:s?

It sounds like you are trying to avoid water changes. Water changes have so many positive virtues and no negative ones, so we don't really advocate any "water change avoidance" strategies around here when dosing anything. The exception is a low-light, low-tech, low fish load tank with lots of plants-some people have success in that case with few water changes. But they do not dose ANYTHING that changes water chemistry like Sodium Bicarbontate!