Re: [APD] RE: additional fish die off

I think most dechlorinators say that besides "getting rid"
of chlorine, they also break up chloramine. This gets rid
of the chloramine by breaking up the compound, leaving you
with chlorine ion (not too bad) and ammonia (not good).
Just breaking up the chloramines is not enough; you want a
treatment that breaks apart the chlorine from the ammonia
and then binds the ammonia (or recombines it) in a form the
plants can use but won't be harmful to the fish. For that
you need SeaChem Prime or a similar product.

Switch to Prime and one fish in a bowl and see if that
doesn't make the diff. Or if you can't bear to risk the
animal's health, test for ammonia.

Scott H.
--- Laith Arif <laith at swissonline_ch> wrote:
> I don't think I saw the previous posts on this but my 2
> cents worth:
>
> - Make sure that the decholorinator you're using also
> gets rid of
> Chloramine, not only chlorine...
>
> - Check for nitrate (NO3) levels out of the tap...
>
> Laith

=====
Tired of filling that aquarium all the way to the top? Ready to try something a little different? Think less water, more options. Think paludarium.

Aquarium Design Group's Mike Senske raised paludariums to a whole other level. SEE Senske paludariums at

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes/aquascapes_paludariums.htm

SEE the Senske submissons to the AGA Annual Aquascaping Contests at http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

HEAR and SEE Mike talk about paludarium design at The 5th AGA Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org