[APD] Portland Water Additions

This is from the city website For Portland:

The Water Bureau treats Portland's water with chloramination. This process starts with chlorine to disinfect the water. Next we add ammonia to ensure that disinfection remains adequate throughout our distribution system. New federal regulations are being developed and may require additional treatment processes by 2012.
We also add sodium hydroxide to increase the pH of the water to reduce corrosion of plumbing systems. This treatment helps control lead and copper levels at customers' taps should these metals be present in the customers' home plumbing

Any ideas???

John