[APD] how do solenoids work?

Forgive the silly question, but does anyone know exactly how solenoids "turn off" the flow of CO2? As the valve on the bottle remains open, would there be a danger of the pressure damaging the regulator? I'd like to turn off the CO2 at night. Would the resulting rise in pH (from about 6.8 to 7.1) hurt the fish?

rant: My expensive Harris regulator dumped last weekend, nearly killing the fish. This CO2 thing is very frustrating and somewhat scary, but the results are so wonderful, I want to continue using it. I'm hoping a solenoid will help make for a safer setup. Oh well. $$$$$

Amy