[APD] Re: Mulm Accreation in Heavily Planted Tanks

Not to keep on beating on a dead horse, but regarding mulm accumulating on
the substrate of heavily planted tanks, I did a little research on the Internet
and asked some people who had their own aquarium websites on the Internet like
Robin Rhudy at Fishpondinfo.com what was the best way to get rid of mulm that
inevitably accreates in planted tanks over long periods of time.  I wanted to
see if there was any other way to get rid of it besides having to do a light
gravel vacuuming every now and then, which even then, might not be able to
eliminate all of it, and so then might not be able to prevent the water quality
from slowly but steadily decreasing bit by bit over time.  After speaking to
her by e-mail, she recommended to me a product called BZT Aqua 4-U manufactured
by United-Tech.  They sell it on their website united-tech.com.  She said that
she uses it in her aquariums and that it turns most of the mulm that
accumulates over time in her planted aquariums into a very fine powder that can be
easily vacuumed up while doing regular water changes during regular aquarium
maintenance.  She also said that she and some other pond keepers use this or some
other United-Tech product similar to this in their ponds to prevent buildup of
fish waste on the bottom and that it works very well for them.  Have any of
you used this product before in your planted tanks?  Do any of you know if it
works and if it does whether or not it works well?  Do any of you know whether
or not the use of it has any negative side effects or drawbacks in the planted
aquarium?  From what she said and from what I have read about it on
United-Tech's website, it seems very promising, and it seems like it would be a good
way to eliminate some of the mulm that inevitably builds up over time in our
planted tanks and that leaves such a big mess in the water when you shift the
plants around or move the gravel in that location, and I was just wondering if
any of you had ever heard of it.

Thanks,
Leroy