[APD] RE: Dennlerle light siesta

I do not think it was Dennnelre that suggested it but they put in on their
site as a method.
I've never found any truth in the research to it giving an advantage to the
macrophytes over the microphytes in terms of light.But it does not hurt
really either. But why might it work for some and not me or you?

What might occur is that the CO2 uptake is becoming quite high, a break
allows the CO2 ppm to rise back up and feed the plants adequately.

But............with good nutrients, CO2 etc, I see no purpose for this and
it seems to help tanks that have other issues, why would the tank have
algae to begin with?
Plants and algae have the same phosynthetic machinery, why would one start
up etc faster than the other? Algae tend to have a faster response time.
Both live in aquatic areas and have the same noon time cloud cover etc.

If you are going to use against algae, doing a 3 day blackout would hurt
the algae more than this method. It would do much more damage if you want
to consider this theory realistically.

Otherwise it's something like what I suggested about the CO2 levels
dropping down which would seem likely in a number of tanks and is often the
cause of algae outbreaks for most/many people anyway.

But it's an easy method to try out, I've heard some claiming success, many
not.

I've never found it to work when the other variables are considered(eg good
CO2, nutrients levels etc). When asking yourself if something works
regarding algae, you need to look at those and then see if the method,
snake oil, H2O2, bleach dip, copper, blackout etc works well.

Generally, killing the algae/removing is a a seperate method, then
restoring or adjusting the tank to have good nutrients for the plants is
another. A two step process.

Regards,
Tom Barr