Re: [APD] re: complete CO2 system -- Don't give up the Ship-ping

Using a tank-swap CO2 supplier which insists on using only
it's own tanks;

Using a tank-swap CO2 supplier that will use any properly
(according to the DOT regs) tested and stamped tank.

Using a CO2 supplier that will refill your own tank.

Buy a tank locally or from an on-line vendor.

We've heard from folks from several places around the US.
Seems pretty clear that options vary from one place to
another. You might be able to keep using a tank of your own
but not care whether you do or not. Buying a tank on-line
might or might not be cheaper. CO2 tanks cannot be shipped
filled so you have to figure in the cost of a fill when
comparing prices to local tank sources. It makes sense to
investigate your options before you buy.

And it's worth iterating, most of the cost of a fill is for
getting a fill at all, not for the amount of CO2 -- larger
tank refills can be much more economical than samller tank
refills.

Scott H.
--- David Grim <grim1214 at bellsouth_net> wrote:
> Robert wrote:
> (snip)
> You are lucky. Here in Salem, of the four gas suppliers,
> only one will
> exchange Cylinders that are not their own, and none of
> them have five pound
> cylinders.  When I lived in San Jose California I could
> not find any
> supplier that would swap a cylinder that was not their
> own, two of these
> companies were on the SAME street and they would not take
> each others
> cylinders in a swap. None of them carried 5 pounders, a
> couple didn't carry
> anything smaller than a 20 pounder. Even if the did swap
> it, what is the
> point in buying an empty cylinder by mail when you can
> buy one filled
> locally? Just a rehtorical question! :)
>
> Robert Hudson
> www.aquabotanic.com
> (snip)
>
> I guess I am lucky not to have those local restrictions
> you have to deal
> with, Robert.
>
> None of my tanks were purchased by mail. I bought all
> mine locally, filled.
> I paid $80 each for the filled 20# tanks, and referred so
> many of my reef
> keeping and planted tank associates to the guy that he
> gave me my 5# back up
> tank for free. He sells CO2 tanks to guys with kegs and
> home beer brewers,
> primarily. A side line for him.
>
> The expensive part about a CO2 tank is getting a
> cylinder, period, empty or
> full. Go into any retail gas seller in the Atlanta area,
> and a filled 20#
> tank (not new, just in their system) in an outright
> purchase is $160-$170
> anywhere you go. That is what makes these guys that do it
> on the side so
> appealing.
>
> The big cost is the cylinder;  refills/swapouts after
> that are inexpensive.
> I swap out my tanks with a welding gas retailer, if that
> makes a difference.
> Not a beverage or a medical gas supplier. The CO2 I use
> is food grade,
> however, although I doubt the plants care either way,
> hehehe!
>
> So if a mail order, empty 20# cylinder is reasonable
> enough, even with
> shipping, compared with buying one at the retail level
> locally that is
> filled, then you are ahead.  Swap it out with a gas
> retailer for $13 and
> you'll always have one that is pressure checked when it
> should be, assuming
> the place is in compliance.
>
> If you like to keep the same cylinder, that is fine. I
> have swapped 20
> pounders out like I do for the last 5 years and have
> never had a problem
> with any of them. Some look better than others. The main
> [...]

=====
She Wrote the book on low maintenance aquatic gardening!
Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_
Meet her at  - The Fifth AGA Annual Convention
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org