Re: [APD] Re: Hair Algae Help!!

--- Brian Fish <dychung1015 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> Rachel and Scott, thanks for your suggestions.  NO3 is
> around 20-30 ppm.

Try getting it down toabout half that amount and make sure
you PO4 is adequate, at about 1/10th the amount of the NO4.

> light is 18W. I will cut down the light time to 10 hours.
>  Should I change
> my water more often, 2 times a week and 30% each time?

Rather than 30% twice a week, do 50% once a week -- 30%
twice is a smaller total change than 50% once and it's
twice the work. Before each change, clean up what you can.

Assuming your lamp is a fluorescent, you should have plenty
of light at 18 watts. Consider adding CO2, a yeast system
is easy to install, whether you do a DIY system with a jug
or the Hagen ready-made version. But buffer the water with
baking soda or calcium carbonate to maintain pH. One
teaspoon of soda in your tank will raise KH by about 4
degrees.

Herbivores work well if they ones you choose "fit in" with
the other fish in your tank.

The battle won't be endless.

Good luck,
Scott H.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:10:06 -0500
> > From: "Brian Fish" <dychung1015 at hotmail_com>
> > Subject: [APD] Hair Algae Help!!
> > To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> >
> > Please help!!  I've been battling with hair algae for
> almost a month and I
> > am losing it.  I've done 30% water change every week
> and reduced to half
> of
> > suggested dose of Flourish EXCEL, Potassium, and
> Flourish. Please suggest
> > any other things I could do.  It's a 10 Gal planted
> tank with 6700K
> > fluorescent light.  My light is on about 12-14 hours
> each day.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brian
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:27:41 -0700
> > From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
> > Subject: Re: [APD] Hair Algae Help!!
> > To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> >
> > What are your nitrate levels? (NO3)

aquatic-plants at actwin_com<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> >   Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 3:10 PM
> >   Subject: [APD] Hair Algae Help!!
> >

> >   Please help!!  I've been battling with hair algae for
> almost a month and
> >   am losing it.  I've done 30% water change every week
> and reduced to half
> of
> >   suggested dose of Flourish EXCEL, Potassium, and
> Flourish. Please
> suggest
> >   any other things I could do.  It's a 10 Gal planted
> tank with 6700K
> >   fluorescent light.  My light is on about 12-14 hours
> each day.
> >
> >   Thanks
> >   Brian
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 4
> > Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:10:21 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> > Subject: Re: [APD] Hair Algae Help!!
> > To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> >
> > Rachel asked about NO3 levels. Good thing to check. You
> can
> > also cut your lights back to 10 hours. 10 to 12 is
> mucho
> > plenty time for lights on. If they aren't on a timer,
> you
> > can get one for a few bucks. How much light do you have
> on
> > the tank? 1.5-2 watts per gallon is plenty if you don't
> add
> > CO2. 2-3 watts if you do.
> >
> > Keep up with cleaning out what you can by hand, get you
> > chem levels in balance 10 to 1 NO3 to PO4 with NO3 at
> about
> > 5 to 10 ppm. Dose Potassium to about 20 ppm -- you can
> > check the archives for Tom Barr's not-test-kit regimen
> for
> > dosing and water changes. The balance and mechanical
> > cleaning will get you at least 90% of the way there.
> Adding
> > CO2 can help too.
> >
> > Scott H,
> > --- Brian Fish <dychung1015 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> > > Please help!!  I've been battling with hair algae for
> > > almost a month and I
> > > am losing it.  I've done 30% water change every week
> and
> > > reduced to half of
> > > suggested dose of Flourish EXCEL, Potassium, and
> > > Flourish. Please suggest
> > > any other things I could do.  It's a 10 Gal planted
> tank
> > > with 6700K
> > > fluorescent light.  My light is on about 12-14 hours
> each
> > > day.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Brian
> >

> > =====

=====
Sure to be the biggest ever - The Fifth AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14; Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org
& www.gwapa.org