Re: [APD] RO/pH question

Oh no. Not a studpid question. Did you see how many ran to
answer your question? A whole lot of folks are learning,
jsut like you and me. :-)

Scott H.
--- revance at indiana_edu wrote:
> Quoting Andrew McLeod
> <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>:
>
> > A quote off this
> (http://www.lenntech.com/pH-and-alkalinity.htm) page:
> > "Did you know that the pH of Coca-Cola is about 2? And
> did you know that
> > it is useless to measure the pH of RO-water or
> demiwater? Both demiwater
> > and RO-water do not contain any buffer ions. This means
> that the pH can be
> > as low as four, but it can also be as high as 12. Both
> kinds of water are
> > not readily usable in their natural form. They are
> always mixed before
> > application!"
> >
> > Basically RO water has effectively no buffering
> capacity - it is 'dead'
> > water with almost nothing in it, which makes it very
> reactive and
> > susceptible to huge pH swings from a tiny change in
> acidity or alkalinity.
> > To prepare RO water for use, simply add an appropriate
> buffer such as
> > Seachem Equilibrium to your requirements.
> >

> Sorry, now that I think about it that was a really stupid
> question. I always
> associate a drop in pH with lowering your KH... of course
> that is because I am
> adding co2. If I were adding something alkaline, the
> lower the KH the higher
> the pH would go. I was just thinking of the role of KH in
> my situation, not the
> actual definition of buffering capacity. You are right,
> after reconstituting
> the water, the pH dropped. There must have been something
> alkaline that caused
> the pH of the unbuffered water to spike. Thanks.
>
> Russ

=====
Field Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium and The Aquarium Center
First event of the AGA Annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org