[APD] Re: theory behind algae control

> Roger wrote:
> >
> > "Pollute" and "excess" are such loaded terms.

> You can create a problem with algae if you put in too much fish food
> without exchanging sufficient water. Are you truly disputing this? You
> cannot mean that unlimited amounts of organic materials may be added to
> an aquarium without consequences.

Steve,

I just reread everything I wrote in this thread and I didn't say anything even
remotely like what you are suggesting.  I didn't reread Tom's letters but I
doubt that he said anything like that either.

Quicky reviewing, what I did say was that algae control had 4 parts:

1) realistic expectations
2) finding a window of conditions that discourage most algae
3) maintaining stability
4) tuning an herbivore population

I also said:
Some methods I consider to be nonsense work because the aquarist manages to
maintain them long enough to get stability.

and:
The idea of killing algae with kindness is an odd one that actually seems to
work for some people.

and:
Roeland is right that nutrient levels maintained in successful planted tanks
are generally too high for competition to be a factor in algae control.

> I'm trying to point out the confusion that you guys create by saying (or
> seeming to say) that nutrient control is not important to algae
> management. I totally agree that you cannot eradicate algae by limiting
> nutrients & I think this is the point that you guys really want to make.

I think any confusion here is of your creation. Just the same, I'm glad you
got that point.

> I also want to point out the problems with your terminology for
> "limiting" algae growth. There is a point where algae ceases to grow in
> isolation from competitors when a given nutrient is reduced. Long before
> the algae can no longer grow, its rate of growth has declined in direct
> proportion to the concentration of the growth limiting nutrient.

Most of us aren't growing algae in isolation.  We are keeping fish and growing
plants.  It may be possible impose a nutrient limitation on algae growth
rates, but that fact is of no value unless we can somehow maintain a wide
spectrum of healthy fish and plants in the same environment at the same time.

> I have also pointed out how nutrient & food management may allow
> competitors to successfully reduce populations of certain kinds of
> algae. Why not comment upon this?

I wasn't commenting on any technical details.

Nutrient control and competition as means of algae control are techniques that
have been discussed ad nauseum over the last 10+ years. They worked for some
people -- at least for a while.  A lot of other factors go into algae control.
 It's time to advance the discussion.

Roger Miller