From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com] On
Behalf Of Rick Engstrom
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 7:51 PM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: RE: [APD] Cop rant

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com]On Behalf Of
S. Hieber
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 7:20 PM
To: aquatic plants digest

Good point Bill. In fact, I work for a police department
and happen to no a few thousand of the men and women. Turns
out they have about the same ratio of jerks as any other
large group of humans, even aquatic hobbyists. For every
police officer job opening, we process about 500 -1000 applicants -- so
we get to be choosy about hiring. American Idol has a higher turndown
rate, but then, they only have to fill one slot per year. ;-)

The most dangerous job in the USA, in terms of assaults and fatalities
per number of persons employed is, you guessed it, convenience store
clerk.

But I hope everyone will note that you never read in the newspaper about
someone holding up a lfs and making off with the fish and plants.
Aquatic hobbyists, on the whole seem to be a nonviolent crowd. :-)

And, back to water changes. . .
regards,
Scott H.
-

thx to both you and Bill for those responses. I retired last June after
serving 32 years on a Canadian Police Force and was proud to be a member
of that fraternity. I really had to hold back from responding initially
to what was nothing more than an ignorant comment. I also belong to an
Internet Group of fellowship with other Officers, their families and
friends. Some of those Officers are presently serving your Country in
Iraq and when they return they will go back to patrolling the Highways.
We as a group send out hundreds of cards each year to families of
Officers killed in the line of duty so  I have little tolerance for
comments like that made on this list. I'll get off my soap box now.

Rick