  From: Bill Wichers<mailto:billw at waveform_net>
  To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 2:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [APD] Blown Ballast

  >Also, the ballast can be replaced relatively inexpensively
  >with a Fulham Workhorse 5. I expect you can get one from
  >AHS since you bought the kit from there. But also you can
  >get one from a number of other sources.
  AHSupply *will* sell parts, but only to people who are using the parts to
  service the brightkits. Apparently they've had problems with people buying
  their parts and not putting things together properly so they won't sell
  loose parts anymore unless you are an owner of one of their kits.

  >This is the first Fulham I've heard about failing. They are
  >generally very reliable.

  I actually had to replace one just recently (past few months), but that one
  failed for unusual reasons.... (not caused by me, BTW)...

  And for the original poster:

   > 1. 2 lights run off the same ballast - can the ballast be
   > 1/2 bad?

  Yes, this is possible but it depends on the design of the ballast.
  Occasionally running a ballast like this can cause the ballast to fail
  after a while.

   > 2. Is it bad for the system to run it with one light
   > uninstalled?

  You should call up AH Supply ASAP and ask them if this is going to be a
  problem for their ballast. If they say it will be OK, then you should be
  fine until you can replace it. Even if the ballast is safely running one
  light, I would recommend just replacing the ballast and using the new
  ballast to drive both lights.

           -Bill