[APD] Tanganyikan Planted Tank-- A quixotic dream?

I have a 20G tank with Tanganyikan shelldwellers
(multis-- and a couple caudopunctatus) that I'd like
to make a planted tank. Many folks say that the high
pH (8.5-ish) and hardness (14-17) make it unfriendly
to plants. My fish would probably dig up stems that
were in their way (anywhere), but they are small
enough fish that I think, if I could get them to grow,
attached plants like java fern and anubias and maybe
some crypts or swords could thrive.
I welcome any suggestions, on-list or off.

Thanks in advance,
Erin