[APD] Diy aquarium backgrounds; does cement stick on glass?

Howdy folks,
am moving my 3ft back inside because we're going to get frosts around
here soon.

I'm completely emptying it to move it and getting rid of the weeds- oh I
mean stem plants and keeping the swords, crypts, java ferns/moss etc.

I was thinking about a new background and came across

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Kumar_Imagination.html

I have a 2ft with a cement covered polystyrene background which I love but
why bother with the polystyrene styrofoam?

If so I could put a very thin (quarter of an inch?) layer of cement on the back wall of the tank with
sand/gravel in it and it would make a lovely rough surface for java moss to grow on.

I could even make it bumpy in places and make shapes like tree roots...

So would the cement stick to the glass?

Should I put a sheet of fine plastic mesh first as reinforcement and then the cement over that?

Damian.