Re: [APD] chloramine/chlorine

Yes. If you know you have or don't know that you don't,
then it won't hurt to treat for both but can definitely
hurt to not treat for ammonia when it's present.

All of which is not to say that chloramines are everywhere.
At least, not yet. Right now, I belileve, 3M Scotchguard is
in more places, even though they quit manufacturing it
several years ago for just that reason. Which just goes to
show, as W.C. Fields said, "When you drink form the faucet,
you never know what you're drinking."

Scott H.

--- Sandra Derrick <mygenericemailname at yahoo_com> wrote:
> Just an FYI...chloramine can be available even in water
> that doesn't have it added at a water plant, and has
> actually been in some midwestern water since chlorine was
> first used by municipal water plants. It can occure from
> runoff from farms and other secondary ammonia sources
> getting into the aquafer combining w/ chlorine at the
> plant- no rhyme or reason to it either, sometimes it's
> there sometimes it's not depending on many variables like
> rainfall and time of year. Also some older homes will
> have bacteria/microscopic invert colonies in the
> pipes/hot water heaters which can produce enough ammonia
> to cause issues, especially when these homes have
> wells...I guess unless you are using
> filtered or "RO" water I guess it's best to always play
> it safe and treat for both.

=====
AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Designing The Nature Aquarium -- demonstrated by Takashi Amano
Paludarium design  -- Mike Senske
Planted Aquarium Ecology  -- Diana Walstad
Cryptocorynes -- Jan D. Bastmeijer
Field Trip, workshops and more, Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, VA, USA
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org