[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[APD] Re: Hypo for chloramine

> Thanks for the info albeit flaming. I always thought that ammonia being

Correcting someone who is giving dangerous misinformation is not

> I always thought that ammonia being freed was so low it was
> inconsequential.

EPA Guidelines set a maximum allowed level of Chlorine of 4ppm.
Most water supplies target 2-4 ppm Chlorine.  Note that 4ppm
of Chlorine is actually 5.8ppm Chloramine.  (The Chlorine is
69% of the chloramine molecule, ammonia is the other 31%)

So, with a possible 5.8ppm Chloramine,  you have 4ppm Chlorine,
and 1.8ppm ammonia.

Assuming a 100 Liter tank (about 26g):
If you do a 10% water change, you would end up with .18ppm ammonia.
A 25% water change gives you .36ppm ammonia.

Ammonia toxicity varies based on pH and Temperature, but
in my book anything more than 0.1ppm ammonia is too much.

From a 1995 post here by Neil Frank:

"Then, it follows that short-term concentrations of total ammonia
should not exceed 0.1 mg/l and longer term (4-day average)
concentrations should be less than 0.02 mg/l."


_______________________________________________ Aquatic-Plants mailing list Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com http://www.actwin.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/aquatic-plants