[APD] Re: Lost an oto, not sure why

Michael Skidmore is having trouble with his Otocinclus:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200404/msg00175.html

Michael,

If the tests are correct, NO2 killed your Oto and will kill all the
others if not dealt with quickly.  In my experience, Otos are *very*
sensitive to any amount of nitrite.  And though your other fishes may
seem ok, they are probably stressed as well; nitrite is highly toxic.

I suggest a series of large water changes to keep the nitrite as low
as possible (get a dependable kit -- Hach or LaMotte -- if you can
afford it.  Hach's nitrate test kit, NI-14, can also test for nitrite
btw).  Ask your LFS if they can give you some seasoned floss or
something from a mature filter, and add it to yours.  You can also
add Seachem Prime per label instructions to keep the NO2 sequestered.
 I don't have much faith in the "bacteria boosters" that are sold, so
I would not depend on them too much.

You should try and determine what the source of the NO2 is.  IME, it
is very unusual to find nitrite in a fully planted tank no matter how
newly set up it is.

Best of luck to you and your Otos.
--
Chuck Huffine