[APD] RE: algae and RO water

> Date: Thu,  8 Apr 2004 10:27:43 -0500
> From: revance at indiana_edu
> Subject: Re: [APD] opinions of algae
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> If your tap water has such a high PO4 level perhaps you should consider
using
> RO water. I usually use RO water in all my tanks and had never had an
algae
> problem.

That does NOT mean PO4 or anything to do with tap water **causes** algae or
makes it hard to deal with.
This is plain myth.
MY tap water has high PO4, I had better growth/less than anyone else that
used RO water or had low PO4.
I keep both non CO2 and CO2 enriched tanks. I have great plant growth.
Why do many people add PO4 if it causes Algae?
Why do so many people with nasty tap water grow plants with it?

Making RO water for large frequent water changes is real chore and cost
money, more than CO2.
It's cheaper and simpler and takes up less space to use CO2. Adding the
NPK/Traces is generally all you have to do from there.

So I'd argue based on correlation alone, that lack of PO4 and tap water
causes algae.

Correlation does not imply causation.
In order to suggest something, see WHY/WHAT is the cause on the algal
presence.
Making assumptions, even if they work for you, are often the source of
problems and myths for folks.
Then the poor aquarist buys a RO unit when they simply don't need them.
Adding CO2 is a much better method.

That's how people got started on RO water is somehow better for plants.
I'll tell you this a 1000 times, it's not and no one needs it for planted
tanks. It cost more than CO2. Non CO2 methods don't do water changes.
Fert's are very cheap.
Unless you have high copper, arsenic etc, then you'll want RO
Otherwise life is MUCH simpler without RO.

Once you figure out that the plant's health and not the tap water or high
nutrient cause algae, then you do not waste your money.
RO water taste great, but using has no benefit for a planted tank. Maybe
some fish, but not for the plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr