Re: [APD] pH shock

Quoting Robert Zink <bonsai at hrcreditunion_net>:

> Thus spake revance at indiana_edu on 4/1/2004 1:37 PM:
>
> > IMHO drastic changes of any kind are not healthy for the fish.
>
> That seems to make a lot of sense from a common-sense point of view.
>
> So if this is true, I ask: why all this talk about 20% water changes, 50%
> water changes, 80% water changes...  ? And why so regularly?
>
> If your water tests are OK, why do so much water changing?
> --
> Thanks,
> Bob

I personally don't like doing large water changes (anything over 30%). I know
lots of people talk about doing 50% and larger water changes but I would rather
do many smaller water changes than a couple big ones.  By doing frequent water
changes it actually keeps the water more stable and consistent. Just because
your water tests are ok doesn't mean you should not do a water change. There is
more to your water than just the parameters you test. Doing frequent water
changes will help to keep other variables in check. In reality the more often
you do water changes, the less drastic changes there will be.

Russ