[APD] Re: pH shock

I'm no ichthyologist or chemist, but I have to agree with Wright on
this matter.  pH is simply a reflection of the chemistry of the
water, it is not a "thing" unto itself; it is an indicator and
nothing more.

If you dump a KH builder into your tank and it kills your fish, it
isn't the increase in pH that kills your fish, it's the increase in
dissolved solids which led to osmotic shock or perhaps the
ammonium<=>ammonia thing.  If you drop the pH with CO2 and kill your
fish, it's not the drop in pH that kills the fish, it's excessive
carbon dioxide causing blood acidosis.....etc. etc.

One thing that can cause problems for tap water users is if you don't
keep an eye on it regularly.  My water comes from a surface
reservoir, and normally the hardness is about 7-8 dGH and alkalinity
about 5 dKH.  But during the course of the year, both of these can
climb up to 3 degrees higher than normal almost overnight.  A swing
that wide, if introduced too quickly, can cause problems.

Anyway, pH should be monitored because it yields useful info, but it
doesn't "do" anything, so don't blame it for stuff.  There are some
things that can cause real problems with water changes, but pH isn't
one of them.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee