Re: heavy metals? (Re: [APD] How do you guys do water changes?????)

Rosario LaCorte gave a talk at the Chicago Killie show.  He had has the
problem with his fish swelling up and dying during the winter for 40 years.
He sent a fish that had died to an expert at the Smithsonian who dissected
the fish and called him back asking if he used hot water when filling his
tanks.  Rosario did indeed use hot water and when he drained his hot water
heater he was shocked at the amount of sludge that was in his tank.  He now
drains his hot water tank every three months and has not had the problem for
the last two years.

I don't remember the specifics of the why and how.  I know he covered that
area and there were people in attendance that agreed with him.  I'm sure
there are people out there with more scientific background than I have that
can explain the details.  I do know that manufactures recommend that you
drain your hot water heater at least once a year.

Thank you,
Marshall Cameron
Lincoln, Nebraska

American Killie Association #08791