[APD] Re: Hemianthus callitrichoides

Wormy wrote:

> Does anyone have any experiences with Hemianthus callitrichoides? I just
> aquired some and I can't find out anything about it. Thanks in advance.

Tropica sells it so you can probably find basic info on their site
(http://www.tropica.com).  I think it has also been known in the
hobby as Hemianthus sp. "Cuba", so you may be able to locate more
info under that name.  You might also try looking through the APD
archives -- just use the search box on the main page
(http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/).

In my experience, it has the same basic requirements as Hemianthus
micranthemoides; it's not a particularly demanding plant and will do
well in a wide range of conditions.  I think it is at its best under
high light with lots of CO2 enrichment, but it will grow well under
moderate light levels (~2-3W/gal) and even does ok in my non-CO2
tanks, though growth is slow, leggy and very vertical.  It doesn't
seem overly touchy about macro nutrients, within reason, but needs
good iron/traces especially under high light.  It's an attractive
little plant when grown emersed, so you might want to try that
sometime.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee