Re: [APD] Another CO2 reactor question -- or - Whence the gas, Eheim?

Good question.

If the CO2 reactor set up is getting your CO2 levels where
you wan't them and the reactor is not filling with gas,
then there is nothing more to expect from or blame on the
reactor.

The gas in the 2215 is very unlikely to be the result of
any direct interaction between the reactor and the filter.

Even if your plants are pearling like Lawrence Welk's
orchestra during a double-time polka (you young 'uns can
look that one up) it shouldn't cause any gas significant
build up in the Ehiem canister.

The things that most often cause gas to accumulate in an
Eheim are:

an increasing build up of material in the media, which
slows down the water float, resulting in a reduction in
pressure in canister, a reduction in vapor pressure. Ehiems
suck water from the canister and when the pump can't slake
it's thirst, gas that is dissolved in the water in the
canister bubbles out. If it gets bad enough, air can
sometimes get sucked in around the "o-ring" that seals the
motor housing to the canisiter.

an imperfect seal between the canister and the motor/pump
housing. To avoid this, apply a think coat of petroleum
jelly to the o-ring.

Soctt H.

--- Gilly Munavalli <gmunava at yahoo_com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Thought I'd post this question, after searching the
> archives to see if
> anyone has a similar setup with similar problems
>
> I recently got a 2nd hand Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor
> (like new) and hooked
> it up over the weekend to my 75G plant tank.  The output
> of my Ehem 2215
> cannister goes into the reactor at the top, exits at the
> bottom and then out
> to the tank via a spraybar at the tank bottom.  CO2 comes
> into the reactor
> at the top after passing a soleniod, check valve, and an
> aquamedics bubble
> counter.  There is a controller in the system as
> well...to handle the
> soleniod (of course)
> With the rate of CO2 at about 18-20 bubbles per minute, I
> noticed that at
> the end of the day, the 2215 canister filter is sounding
> like it has air
> inside (noisy turbulence of the propeller) and I can't
> figure out where the
> air is coming from.  I dont think it was from the
> cannister intake because
> that end has been submerged in the tank
> I used the release valve on top of the Aquamedic 1000 to
> release some air,
> because the reactor was only half filled with water when
> I looked at it at
> the end of the day, with the top half being filled with
> air!  I figured
> maybe the co2 rate was too high?!
> A couple questions to add to this:
> Is the 2215 enough output for this reactor (the manual
> says 250 gal/hour)
> and I dont think (not sure) my cannister is capable of
> this, or does it
> matter?
> Has anyone had any similar problems with their reactor
> and cannister
> systems, esp those with the Aquamedic 1000 reactor and or
> eheim 2215
> Is it possible the air from the reactor to get up in the
> intake and back
> into the cannister while there is still flow going on?
> I'm hoping some engineer types or anyone with experience
> can help a
> semi-newbie outout.
> Thanks in advance!!!.
>
> GM

=====
S. Hieber
Aquascaping by Takashi Amano and more at
the AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14; Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, Virginia, USA
Aquatic Gardeners Association www.aquatic-gardeners.org