From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rtcrosby=charter_net at actwin.com] On
Behalf Of S. Hieber
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 3:58 AM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: RE: [APD] RE: CF retrofit suggestions

Sometimes gravity flow convection is not adequate for a specific
installation due to the reasons you mention or the amount of heat that
needs to be disappated, room temps and the abitliyt of gravity flow to
deal with the heat. . .

Vents are quieter, much more energy efficient than fans.
But fans can be much more effective in some cases.

Scott H.

--- Bob Crosby <rtcrosby at charter_net> wrote:
> Excuse me for seeming to attempt to oversimplify this but since heat
> rises, isn't the most effective, cheapest, and easiest to
> just vent the
> top of the hood. I've always thought that the less
> mechanical (or
> electrical as the case might be) systems one must
> involve, the less
> chance there is of breakdown, overheating, etc.
>
> I recognize that aesthetically one might not want to cut holes or vent
> strips in the top of the hood, but it has worked really
> well for my
> setup in retrofitting the standard plastic hood that came
> with my
> daughter's 29 gallon setup. That combined with the end
> vents that came
> with the kit from AH Supply and I have no need for a fan
> or anything
> other than the natural dissipation of the heat up through
> the top of the
> hood.

=====
S. Hieber
Aquascaping by Takashi Amano and more at
the AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14; Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, Virginia, USA
Aquatic Gardeners Association www.aquatic-gardeners.org