Re: [APD] Re: Newbie (Mark & Peta)

Mark & Peta,
The real problem with using the coral substrate is that your KH will be very
high, you will have a VERY high pH buffering capacity, and will cause you to
have a very high pH. If you are using a pH controller to control your CO2
injection and your KH is too high you will end up having to inject so much co2
to bring the pH down you will have unsafe levels of CO2. There are some very
helpful charts that show the CO2/pH/KH relationship (remember it is a rough
estimate... the chart doesnt account for everything), but these charts will
give you an idea of how much CO2 you need to achieve a certain pH with your
given KH and help you understand this relationship. You can find them by doing
a search online.

This is all assuming you are wanting to achieve a pH around 7.0, if you want a
high pH, there really isn't a problem. Keep an eye on your KH and pH, and
please don't be fooled by thinking that CO2 is the be all end all solution to
fixing any pH problem you might have... if your KH is too high, you might need
an unsafe level of CO2 to achieve your desired pH. I hope this helps you out.
Because of the "newbie" subject of your post, I made no assumptions of what you
know already, so if this is all old news please don't be offended by me
explaining it to you.