Re: [APD] DIY co2 disaster

How much of the yeast/sugar mix got into the tank and how long had it been
fermenting? The longer it has been fermenting the more ethanol it will have and
I would imagine that the ethanol in the solution would be the biggest concern.
The yeast/sugar solution isn't as acidic as you might think. I just tested mine
(which I am sure will differ slightly from yours) and it had a pH of 4.6. So I
don't think the solution will effect your pH as much as it's CO2 byproduct.
Remember, its not the pH of the CO2 that lowers the pH of your tank, its the
reaction it has with H2O that forms carbonic acid that lowers your pH. Someone
please correct me if I am wrong... I am not a chemist so I wouldn't know if
there could be a chemical reaction between the mix and water to cause a drastic
pH change. I would think entering an aquarium would immediately dilute the
mixture to the point that it would be unable to create a substantial amount of
CO2.

I think your best bet is to continue doing water changes and keep testing the
parameters of your tank. Along with this I would keep an eye on the fish and if
they start to look ill move them to the other tank. I hope someone can give you
some more (and maybe better) advise.

Anyone know the effect the yeast will have on the tank?