Re: [APD] The siphon saga continues...need safety shutoff!

> 2)  When a system can't be allowed to fail, make a
> backup.  How about a second siphon, at a water level
> little above the first, so that it will kick in if the
> first siphon is disabled.  If used with a skimmer box
> with a standpipe on the outside part, it shouldn't
> lose the siphon (unless all the water evaporates out
> of it)

Why make it above the first, just have two siphons working at the same time...
thats how the high flow rate overflow siphons work, they just have two siphons
and two drains on the other side.  As long as your not increasing your flow
rate by getting a bigger pump, you don't need a second drain, just a second
siphon tube. So if you are pumping 500gph each siphon tube will just have half
the flow... 250gph (although they probably won't be identical).

I guess by having both running all the time, you increase the chances of them
both clogging, but water evaporating out of a standpipe is inevitable. If you
don't make sure it is always topped off you will lose your siphon and no
longer have a backup.

I think your best bet is to just keep the overflow clear of junk (as you said,
put a screen around it or something). If theres a bunch of big junk going
through the overflow box it doesnt matter how many siphons you have... they
will just clog one by one. Don't get me wrong, I am all for having a backup,
but I think keeping stuff out of the box is the first place to start. You can
always do both.