[APD] The siphon saga continues...need safety shutoff!

This morning I woke up about 3:30 am to the lovely
sound of a waterfall...but wait!  I don't HAVE a
water fall.

Turns out some algae had broken off in the algae
tank and become logged in the end of the siphon
inlet.

I only lost a gallon or two of water, no big deal.
Unlike a post a while back, I'm sure my stand could
survive total submersion for weeks, and my fishroom
has a plastic floor.  Best of all, my wife slept
thru the whole thing, and this morning I forgot to
mention it at breakfast.

I solved the problem short-term by putting a sponge
filter over the inlet end of the tube, but it brings
to mind my next problem.

I need some kind of safety pump shutoff.

Does anybody have experience with those?

Thanks,
Rod