[APD] Re: Top-off systems

 > Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:03:12 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rod Gerrymander <rgerrymander at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] Top-off systems
>
> Loss from my system is about 6-7 gallons a day.  If
> I'm
> gone for three weeks I don't want anything important
> get uncovered, like a siphon end, a pump, or a heater.
> I need a top-off system.
>
> Water flow from an AquaLifter is about 3.5 gallons
> per hour.  It occurs to me that with an IceCap timer
> and an AquaLifter I might be able to build a top-off
> system.
>
> Are there commercial top-off systems on the market?
> Has anybody built one DIY?  I would be happy to hear
> about your experiences.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

I used this float switch
http://stores.ebay.com/id=37739416&ssPageName=L2

This solenoid valve, part # 7877K53  from
http://www.mcmaster.com/

and a refrigerator icemaker hookup kit.  I mounted the switch inside a
piece of 2" pvc just to keep leaves and debris away from it.  I have this
system on 3 tanks and all are working perfectly.

Bob Ashcraft