[APD] What do you make siphons out of?

I have located a couple of places where I can buy
clear 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings, but it is expensive.

I have made siphons from regular PVC like you would
use for plumbing, but you can't see in it to see if
it has bubbles or other problems.

I have made siphons from clear plastic tubing, but I
can't bend it so I end up cutting and gluing together
sections.  The end result doesn't give me a lot of
confidence.

My project requires some specialized shapes, and I
want
the siphons to go deep into the water, and on the
input
side maybe have some kind of grating so I don't get
clogged up.

Could you share your ideas on building siphons?

Thanks,
Rod