Re: [APD] Re: Drilling for bulkheads (was bubbles)

You don't want to do it with the tank set up and you
absolutely don't want to do it ontempered glass -- it's
been done but it's way too risky.

You can get hole bits at Home Depot that might last for one
good cutting. You can get quality diamond impregnated bits
from

http://www.jehmco.com/

but they are very expensive.

If you cant put the glass under a drill press, then you
proably would want to make a jig out of wood to hold the
aim steady. You have to keep the glass cool as you bore. I
think Jehmco will advise you if you ask.

Scott H.
--- Rod Gerrymander <rgerrymander at yahoo_com> wrote:
> I have drilled small holes in glass before using the
> spade-type bits and a drill press, but the bulkheads
> would require a hole in the glass that is about 1.5
> inches.  I don't even know where to get such a bit
> (advice appreciated).
>
> Plus I would have to drill these tanks (at least the
> main tank) while it is setup, meaning holding the
> drill
> in my hand instead of a drill press, and the glass is
> under pressure from 100 gallons of water.  This seems
> just a little too freaky.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod
>

> > The only way to make siphons foolproof is to remove
> > them.
> >
> > It's actually quite easy to drill the tanks and
> > install bulkheads for
> > overflows.  I did it for the first time a few months
> > ago, and have done
> > several other tanks since then.

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia