[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 7, Issue 26

> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 06:42:14 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rod Gerrymander <rgerrymander at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] How do I avoid bubbles in siphons?
>
> My problem is that there is pearling going on in these
> tanks 24 hours a day somewhere and the siphons are
> getting bubbles in them which tend to collect at the
> highest point, with disatrous consequences if left
> untreated.  I need a system that can go without
> maintenance a minimum of three weeks, and this is not
> going to make it.
>
> I tried putting 90 degree U curves in the bottom of
> the siphons so that rising bubbles would not enter
> them
> and this was surprizingly uneffective.  With all the
> oxygen plus co2 in the water I'm not sure what these
> bubbles are, but they may even be rising spontaneously
> inside the tubing.
>
> Does anybody have a suggestion for keeping these
> siphons flowing?
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

The only way to make siphons foolproof is to remove them.

It's actually quite easy to drill the tanks and install bulkheads for
overflows.  I did it for the first time a few months ago, and have done
several other tanks since then.

But, even bulkheads aren't 100% foolproof, especially in a planted tank
since leaves can clog them, but they're about 1000% better than siphons.

Bob Ashcraft