[APD] Plants in pots

HI gang-
   Been gone a long time.  Too busy to fool with a lot of this stuff.
   I have a couple of tanks that were at one time planted and have the
lighting necessary, but have been scraped clean and set up bare-bottom for angel fry
raising.  Since I'm really busy, and sometimes the tanks hold other fish
long-term, it would be great if I could put some plants in pots and move them
around as needed to help maintain water quality between changes.  So what to use
for a substrate?
    While plants are commercially raised in pots using rock wool, that is
primarily for plants in an emerse state.  What about immersed?  Would I be best
with gravel/clay substrate, flourite, htbass, or an amano style pumice
gravel/peat/clay deal?  Remember, the CO2 will be unsupplemented, and the plants need
to metabolize(grow) in order to be helpful.
    Also, any preferences about pots?  Whatever I use will have to be raised
off the bottom a little so when there are fry in the tank they don't get
stuck.  The easiest approach for that is marbles and silicone adhesive.  I am
thinking either standard terra cotta  pots or possibly strips of plastic rain
gutter capped off.
    Tanks,
    Bob Dixon