[APD] LUX and photosynthesis

Hi,

I read this list often and I finally see something I want to ask about. OK, here's
my question for you all. This is and interesting discussion.

I noticed that the list of "comensation points" has floating plants like, higest.
Here's my questions:
** What's the values for some algae?
** What's the values for BGA when is floats on the surface (as a colony)
** How many lux does a very lightly planted 55 gallon with 110 watts of CF light have
** How many lux in a 55 gallon with 110 watts of compact flourescent light when
    it has a lot of plants?

Happy planting

Meryl

=============

++ George B once quoted a table of LSPs & compensations points
++ for several aquatic plants. I bet its one of the reasons that
++ George is so stingy with his lighting levels. Could it be
++ that he's onto something? George: you're far too quiet these
++ days. Have you still got that table? come on old man! I
++ hope the power cables haven't put you in hospital (again). ;-)
++
++ The place where we have generally gone wrong (oops another one)
++ is in not advising the reduction of lighting intensity to at
++ or below the LSP when attempting to manage algae. The LSP is
++ an empirical upper limit where all other growth factors are
++ supplied in super-abundance. Its probably well above the
++ actual photosynthesis maximum given the relative scarcity
++ of nutrients (excepting Tom's high N+C regimen) in our
++ aquariums. I think he's also mentioned that substrate Fe
++ can be limiting. Based on my own experiences, I would agree
++ with the importance of substrate Fe as well as N in order to
++ limit N availability to algae.