[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3

http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/heating/heaters/mk_10975_heater.html

> Hagen makes a mini submersible available at most of hte
> online stores that handle Hagen/Tronic heaters, but it's a
> whopping 25 watts -- whopping for tank that's only a couple
> of gallons or less.

"Pre-set" in the little 7.5 or 5 watt heaters just means that they are not
thermostatically controlled.  They simply run all the time, like a heat rock
or reptile pad, but are small enough that they don't overheat a small tank.
If I remember correctly, they will raise the temperature in a 2 1/2G tank by
about 5 degrees or so, putting it in the ball park for many fish species if
the tank is in a room kept t normal household temperatures.  I've got a
bettter idea though... Most plants are perfectly happy at household temps.
So just pick fish for the tank that will also be happy with it a little
cooler.  White clouds shine in this particular situation, but several of the
smaller barbs (like cherry barbs) do fine too.  Or think native!  Alabama
rainbow shiners, Okeefenokee sunfish and several others are outstanding fish
that really have no place in a typical tropical tank, but will be start
attractions in a small planted tank set up just for them.

Karen